Coffee aficionados enjoy various health benefits. A cup of coffee not only gives you a caffeine boost but also keeps certain illnesses at bay and stave off mental health issues such as depression.
However, have you heard about Kopi Luwak, the most expensive coffee in the world? Well, a pound of Kopi Luwak can cost you from $100 to $600. Or you can have a cup for up to $100. Yeah, that is how exclusive this particular type of coffee is. Why? Let us find out.
Kopi Luwak – The Origins
Kopi Luwak or Civet Coffee, also known as Cat poop, comes from Indonesia. It is not only the most expensive but one of the rarest coffees on the planet. Kopi stands for coffee, and Luwak is Civet, a small cat-like nocturnal mammal living in the tropical rainforest of Indonesia.
During the Dutch rule in Indonesia in the mid 19th century, the coffee crop plantation hub was in Java Island and Sumatra. The Dutch used to import Arabica crops and planted them into the mountains of Indonesia. However, they did not allow the local farmers you use the beans.
Soon, the farmer noticed that wild civets would eat crop fruit and leave the undigested Arabica bean in the poop. The farmers decided to collect the undigested beans from the dunk and ground them into the coffee. Much to your surprise, this coffee was better than the Arabica coffee, and Kopi Luwak was born.
Making of Kopi Luwak
Many do not understand how you can make coffee from cat poop? Well, we will explain the process in simple steps. However, you must remember that civet loves coffee cherries. These are produced on coffee trees and turn bright when riped and ready to pick.
The coffee bean itself is within the cherry. As the fruit ripens and turns into a darkish-red cherry, you can harvest it.
Civets eat the cherries at night, and the undigested bean ferment in the civets’ stomachs for 24 hours before they excrete it out in a poop. The locals will wash and clean these beans, let them dry under the sun and roast them to make coffee. That is how you get the world’s most expensive coffee.
6 Health Benefits of Kopi Luwak
Apart from exotic taste, here are six ways Kopi Luwak can benefit your health.
- Kopi Luwak has antibacterial properties to protect your teeth. Furthermore, it can keep your teeth bacteria-free and clean.
- This civet coffee can also lower the acidic concentration in your stomach. Therefore, it is extremely beneficial for those suffering from ulcers and other digestive issues.
- According to a study conducted by Harvard, People who drink a cup of any coffee, including Kopi Luwak, may limit the percentage of getting cancer. Therefore, you can say that a cup of Kopi Luwak will also protect you from ever getting oral cancer.
- It can also control your diabetes and be a very useful option for people with Type 2 diabetes.
- If you suffer from muscle pain, Kopi Luwak may offer you relief.
- On the mental health front, civet coffee may also be able to help prevent several neurological disorders. According to a Harvard study, coffee is already linked with curing Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Therefore, it is safe to say that civet coffee will help do the same health benefits.
So, you just found out that the world’s most expensive coffee comes from the poop of a cat-like animal living in the tropical forests of Indonesia. As strange as it is, the coffee itself smells amazing and taste extremely delicious.
If you are a coffee enthusiast and can forget about the cat-poop part, you are in for a real-treat when trying a cup of Kopi Luwak – You can order your own batch of premium exotic Kopi Luwak right now at Cat’s Ass Coffee